Ginger Porter #1
Goals for this recipe:
- quantity: 5 gal
- starting SG: 1.045
- finishing SG: 1.010
- ABV: 5% - 6%
- bitterness: 30-35 IBU
- color: 25-30 SRM
- 3.3 lb. light malt extract syrup
- 1 lb. brown malt
- 2.3 lb. British pale ale malt
- 0.5 lb. 60L crystal malt
- 0.1 lb. (1 oz.) Chocolate malt
- 1 oz. Northern Brewer (bittering)
- 1 oz. Goldings (flavor)
- 1 oz. Fuggle (aroma)
- Wyeast #1318 (London Ale III) or #1099 (Whitbread)
- Heat 1 gallon of strike water to 165° F.
- Add strike water and crushed grains to mash tun, stirring well.
- Temperature should stabilize around 150° F. Hold this temperature for one hour, checking the temperature every 15 minutes.
- While mash is being conducted, heat 2.6 gallons of sparge water to 150° F.
- Recirculate runnings until clear, then sparge and collect a total of 3 gallons.
- Add malt extract. Steep 4 oz. grated ginger in a muslin bag while bringing to a boil.
- Add 1 oz. Northern Brewer hops. Boil 60 minutes.
- With 20 minutes remaining, add 1 oz. Goldings hops.
- With 5 minutes remaining, add 1 oz. Fuggle hops.
- Cool with wort chiller to ~ 75° F and add to 2 gallons of water in carboy. Top up to 5 gallons.
- Pitch yeast.
- Bottle when fermentation is complete.
- Age in bottles approximately six weeks.