Lost Root Password
If you've forgotten the root password, you'll need to follow the
following procedure to reset it so you can login as root. This is most
helpful to people who've just purchased a used NeXT but don't know what
the root password is.
- Reboot the system.
- Immdeiately after the "Testing System" message is replaced with
"Loading from disk", hold down the right command key and press the
tilde (~) on the numeric keypad. You are now at the ROM monitor.
- Boot the machine into single user mode. Most people boot off the
hard disk, and should type the following at the ROM monitor prompt:
NeXT> bsd -s
- Once the system has started and dumps you at a root prompt, you
need to make sure NetInfo and other services get started. Do this by
# sh /etc/rc &
- Set the root password using:
# passwd root
- Now, reboot the system and you can use the new password.